In the summer Morzine is a hub of activity including mountain biking, road biking, horse riding, walking and hiking, parapenting; not to mention the fantastic facilities offered at the swimming pools, tennis courts and skate-board park in the Dereche Park right in the centre of the town.
Throughout the summer Morzine is a lively village displaying on-going traditions but also tourist attractions such as the Alp Festival, the Dereches farm and water-sports centre. Every week the village comes to life with music, shows, parades and celebrations.
There are fantastic special activities in Morzine every year. The Tour de France is a regular visitor for the gruelling Alpine stages, And the town frequently plays host to World Championship stages for Mountain Biking and Parapenting. Rugular events such as the Harley Davidson Rallye and Cyclosportive "The Morzine - Vallee d Aulps" are also tremendous for participants and spectators alike. Watch this space for news of next year's events.
Family/General Attractions in Morzine:
- Guided tours around the old town to see cheese being made at the dairy and to visit a slate workshop.
- The Parcs des Dereches a natural environment in the heart of the village, offers many activities including:
- the water centre with a pool supplied with spring water; children's pool's and giant slide;
- a horse-riding centre for children and adults where you can have a short ride or go mountain trekking
- the farm which has goats, donkeys, ducks, pigs and a "mini cow" where the children can feed the animals;
- fitness centre with sauna and jacuzzi (for after that hard day's hiking or mountain biking);
- indoor ice-rink;
- tennis courts;
- skate park;
- and even a mini-park for the toddlers!
- Horse drawn carriage rides around Morzine and to Montriond Lake
- Summer sledging on the Pleney massif, there is one fast run and a run for beginners
- A treetop obstacle course with rope-swings, bridges, etc for passing from tree to tree at Nyon Waterfall site
- Mountainboard grass scooter fun at the Mas Verjus ski lift
All kinds of mountain biking is possible in Morzine and the Portes du Soleil.
- Family mountain bike trails of a day or half-day
- For the serious mountain bikers there is 380km of marked trails, 24 lifts open all summer and the mountain biking/FFC trail of 110km - "Tour des Portes du Soleil".
- A permanent downhill descent trail at Pleney offering a challenging track of a length of 3250m
Mountain bike hire is available from several sports shops from around 120FF per day
Mountain Trekking and Hiking
In the mountains, there is something for everyone, discover the mountain environment with its flora and fauna and also explore the migratory birds at the ornithological centre at Bretolet.
- 300km of marked footpaths for discovering the beauty of the Alps
- Two GR hike routes
- The Portes du Soleil Tour and the Dents Blanches Tour for trekkers
- High mountain expeditions on glaciers, rocks and/or snow with guides
Mountain guides available for half or full day
There is a challenging and beautiful 9 holes by 36 Golf Course situated at an altitude of 1600m, on the plateau at Proclou, Avoriaz. The Club House is open every day.
There are other golf courses at Les Get (18 hole); Evian and Chamonix.
And finally, for the really adventurous .......
- Paragliding - introductory flights to advanced courses are available
- Bungy jumping - from the Nyon Cable Car
- Canyoning - descend a river by abseiling, walking and swimming
Climbing - meet the challenge of the many cliff faces in the area (courses available)
At the end of your day .......
Morzine can offer lively evening entertainment at the good selection of bars and nightclubs, or you can relax in one of Morzine's many excellent restaurants to discuss your day's adventures.